Westar Energy STEM Awards 2018 Call for ProposalsCarol Pitts
Three $3,000 grants to support innovative project-based instruction in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) are available from Westar Energy.
This is the fifth year for the grant program, and funds can be used to increase student interest and academic achievement in the STEM disciplines as applied to electrical energy. A focus on increasing the diversity of students involved in STEM education is of special interest area.
Westar Energy is the leading electric utility in the Midwest, dedicated to investing in the communities served and developing partnerships that invest in their current and future workforce.
The awards are a partnership between Westar Energy, the Kansas Association of School Boards (KASB) and Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE). A selection committee composed of personnel from Westar Energy, KASB and KSDE will select the winning applicants.
Requests that incorporate the following components are of the greatest interest:
- A focus on electricity, electrical production and conservation in Kansas.
- Designed to improve, advance and enrich student learning while growing their interest in STEM.
- Designed to spark interest in STEM disciplines among students from non-traditional or underrepresented groups (i.e. ethnic minority and female students).
- Provide activities that support student application of classroom STEM knowledge to practical applications.
- New this year! Successful applications will have a significant element of community service woven into their proposals.
Submission deadline is July 13. Awards will be announced August 1-3, and award checks will be mailed August 31.
All grant recipients are recognized during the KASB Annual Conference and asked to present a breakout session on their project.
- April 23, 2018 – RFP Issued
- July 13, 2018 – Proposal Deadline
- August 1-3, 2018 – Awards Announced
- August 31, 2018 – Award checks mailed to recipients.
- December 1, 2018 – Preliminary report due to Westar Energy and KASB (includes presentation at 2018 KASB conference).
- December 1, 2019 – Summary Report due to Westar and KASB.
For a complete list of guidelines, submission details and the application form, see kasb.org/WestarSTEM
Written by Carol Pitts, firstname.lastname@example.org
April 2018 School Board Review