KASB has been using Tableau to present data in an online, interactive format for over a year now, but I know that many of you are probably still apprehensive about using it. I thought it might be useful to provide you some examples to play with.
Tableau sends me a daily email that highlights visualizations created by people all over the world. Most of these have been created based on personal interest or on hot topics in the news. Here’s a list of some of the ones I thought were interesting. Please go check them out; it will help you get more comfortable with Tableau and the content is worth exploring.
- Beatles Analysis: Adam McCann of Dueling Data visualizes the epic discography of The Beatles. Explore their career and discover who wrote which songs. Also click on the album icon to play their music directly from the viz.
- Most Popular Songs on Spotify: Corey Jones visualizes the most popular songs in the US during the second half of 2015 based on the number of streams on Spotify.
- A Thousand Mythic Songs You Should Listen To: This viz by Sean Miller lets you explore the Guardian’s 1,000 Songs to hear before you die by year and genre.
- Graduation Rate Estimator: Winner of the “Data for Diplomas” hackathon (sponsored by AT&T), Linda built this tool to help predict graduation rates in the US.
- Script Wars: Andy Cotgreave visualizes all the lines in the Star Wars franchise (Episodes 1-6). See which characters have the longest lines – Admiral Ackbar a surprise to anyone?
- Most-rated books from Goodreads: Looking for a present or simply for a good read for the holidays? Joshua Preston’s viz let’s you find books that have been highly rated on goodreads.com
- Zombie Apocalypse: Which cities are best equipped to survive the walking dead?
- James Bond Films: Dario Wächter looks at the box-office takings (bar chart) and the film locations (world map) of the different Bond movies. – This one’s in German.
- US Gun Violence: Andy Kriebel looks at gun violence related events in the US.
- We’re not in Kansas Anymore: Ryan Sleeper of Evolytics visualizes the trips that he has taken with his wife in this custom-map dashboard.
- Sleep Patterns Before and After Baby: Robert Rouse of InterWorks quantifies changes in sleeping patterns before and after the birth of a baby.