“Roadmap to Reopening” online session at noon todayScott Rothschild
What a week. Kansas education leaders released guidance on reopening schools and just hours later, Gov. Laura Kelly announced she will issue an executive order seeking to delay school reopening until Sept. 9 because of surging COVID-19 cases.
To try to make sense of it all, join us at noon today (Fri. July 17) for an online interactive meeting called “Roadmap to Reopening: Framework Overview” on the major issues school boards face in planning for school this fall. To register, go to this link.
Another session of “Roadmap to Reopening” will be held at noon Wed. July 22. Since, Gov. Kelly has said she will submit her executive order on Monday, this online session may include details about that action. There is no charge for these sessions, but members will have to register to attend the Zoom conference. To register for this session, go to this link.
In addition, on Mon. July 20, Wed. July 22 and Thur. July 23, KASB will hold a series of online regional roundtable events, starting at 6 p.m., to allow districts to share their plans for school reopening. The cost of these events is $38 per registrant. Although members can attend any meeting that is convenient, to provide a more regional perspective, KASB encourages members to participate in these meetings as follows:
Mon. July 20: KASB Regions 4, 5, 6 and 14.
Wed. July 22: KASB Regions 1, 2, 3, 11, 12 (Shawnee Mission), 13 (Kansas City) and 15 (Olathe).
Thur. July 23: KASB Regions 7, 8, 9, and 10.
KASB members can register for any of these events on the KASB webpage under Training and Events, or at this link.
Here are KASB’s 10 geographic reasons by county (the five largest member school districts by enrollment are individual regions 11 through 15):
- Region 1-Counties Atchison, Doniphan, Douglas, Jefferson, Johnson, Leavenworth and Wyandotte
- Region 2- Counties Anderson, Coffey, Franklin, Greenwood, Linn, Lyon, Miami, Osage, Shawnee and Wabaunsee
- Region 3- Counties Allen, Bourbon, Chautauqua, Cherokee, Crawford, Elk, Labette, Montgomery, Neosho, Wilson and Woodson
- Region 4- Counties Brown, Clay, Dickinson, Geary, Jackson, Marshall, Nemaha, Pottawatomie, Riley and Washington
- Region 5- Counties Chase, Harvey, Marion, McPherson, Morris, Reno, Rice and Saline
- Region 6- Counties Butler, Cowley, Sedgwick and Sumner
- Region 7- Counties Cloud, Ellis, Ellsworth, Jewell, Lincoln, Mitchell, Osborne, Ottawa, Phillips, Rooks, Republic, Russell and Smith
- Region 8- Counties Barber, Barton, Comanche, Edwards, Harper, Kingman, Kiowa, Ness, Pawnee, Pratt, Rush and Stafford
- Region 9- Counties Cheyenne, Decatur, Gove, Graham, Greeley, Lane, Logan, Norton, Rawlins, Scott, Sheridan, Sherman, Thomas, Trego, Wallace and Wichita
- Region 10- Counties Clark, Finney, Ford, Grant, Gray, Hamilton, Haskell, Hodgeman, Kearny, Meade, Morton, Seward, Stanton and Stevens