Graduation day for BOLD classAndrea Hartzell
The KASB BOLD Class of 2018-2019 graduated June 14 following a year-long program that included sessions on building and facilities master planning; technology planning; finance strategies and planning; procurement processes; school security; risk management; and human resource management.
This is the second year for KASB BOLD (Business Operations Leadership Development). Participants are selected through an application process, with aspiring superintendents or new superintendents (within first couple of years) given first consideration.
The 2018-2019 class included 17 members who participated in sessions lead by KASB staff and guest speakers, including outstanding school leaders and subject matter experts from across the state. KASB partners P1 Group, Inc., K12itc, Opaa! and Patron Insight, Inc. also provided presentations and support.
Randy Weseman, KASB’s assistant executive director for leadership services and the association’s operations director, said this year’s class also benefited from knowledge shared by the host districts.
“We visited Goddard, Basehor-Linwood, Topeka and Derby school districts this year. The staff in each district provided great information on a wide range of topics,” he said. “This gave the class a chance to study real world examples of the challenges of district leadership.”
The application process for the 2019-2020 BOLD class will open in July. Watch KASB News Briefs and check
kasb.org/BOLD for additional information.
2018-2019 KASB BOLD GRADUATES
- Kellen Adams, superintendent, Chanute USD 413
- Susan Beesen, superintendent, Centre USD 397
- Richard Bell, assistant superintendent of personnel and operations, Maize USD 266
- Ben Boothe, director of secondary education, Gardner Edgerton USD 231
- Justin Burche, superintendent, Osawatomie USD 367
- Juanita Erickson, superintendent, Neodesha USD 461
- Vince Evans, assistant superintendent of student services, Wichita USD 259
- Jim Goracke, superintendent, Sterling USD 376
- Michael Janzen, assistant superintendent, Circle USD 375
- Troy Langdon, superintendent, Osborne USD 392
- Jake Potter, director of public relations, Leavenworth USD 453
- Deanna Scherer, principal, Effingham USD 377
- Shelly Swayne, superintendent, Russell County USD 407
- Bryce Wachs, superintendent, Fort Larned USD 495
- Matt Ward, superintendent, Augusta USD 402
- Cathi Wilson, superintendent/principal, Oxford USD 358
- Donna Zerr, principal, Augusta USD 402
KASB BOLD Class of 2018-2019
(Front row, left to right) Shelly Swayne, Cathi Wilson, Donna Zehr, Susan Beeson, Juanita Erickson, Deanna Scherer.
(Back row, left to right) Jim Groacke, Ben Boothe, Bryce Wachs, Kellen Adams; Troy Langdon, Jake Potter, Richard Bell, Matt Ward. Not pictured: Justin Burche, Vince Adams, Michael Janzen.