|PLEASE NOTE: To register for a KASB workshop - please click on "Member Portal" at the top of this page. You'll then be asked to log in. If you are already logged in, please CLICK HERE and you'll be taken directly to the events page in the portal. If you have any questions, please contact KASB at 785-273-3600, 800-432-2471 or email@example.com.|
KASB offers a wide range of educational programming to keep board members and administrators informed. Each year the offerings are described in a Curriculum Guide. Participating members receive credit for attendance in a program called the “KASB Leadership Academy.” Awards are presented at the end of each fiscal year. A “Season Pass” option allows members to send an unlimited number of participants to certain workshops throughout the year for a flat fee.
For a complete list of current training opportunities, click here.
School Law Workshop & KSAA Meeting
12:00 pm - 2:35 pm
Hyatt Regency, Wichita, Kansas
- Kansas Anti-Bullying Law, Student and Parent Complaints, and Appeals to the Board: Donna Whiteman, Attorney, Assistant Executive Director of Legal Services Kansas adopted an anti-bullying statute in 2007 and the Kansas legislature continues to revisit school districts’ responsibilities yearly. This session will review the Kansas bullying law and the legal steps schools must take in investigating, documenting and ensuring bullying behaviors are stopped. Recent legal challenges by parents will also be reviewed.
- Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation – Students and Staff: David Cunningham, Executive Director of Human Resources/Legal Counsel, Lawrence USD 497 and Lori Kopp, General Counsel, Topeka USD 501 All districts aspire to meet the needs of students and staff and to provide them with a safe and positive learning and working environment. However, making that work within the halls of a school with many competing voices can create a number of challenges. Discussing the practical challenges facing districts in accommodating transgender and gender non-conforming students and staff at a time when the legal landscape is constantly changing.
- State and Federal Laws on Student Records and Student Privacy: Luke Sobba, KASB Attorney This presentation reviews FERPA restrictions and limitations on disclosing student records, as well as requirements of the Kansas Student Data Privacy Act. Discussion will include cases and scenarios applying the acts.
- Advising Schools in Suicide Prevention, Response and Liability Concerns: Luke Sobba, KASB Attorney The Jason Flatt Act requires annual training for school personnel on suicide ideation. But is that enough? This presentation delves into the responses of school districts when they learn of an individualized risk of suicide. It also reviews liability concerns that could arise from acting inappropriately or failing to take action to prevent student suicides.
- Family Medical Leave and ADA Accommodations: Handling Employee Leave Issues: Angie Stallbaumer, KASB Senior Attorney Navigating FMLA requirements and provision of ADA accommodations can be dicey, especially where the laws overlap. Join us for an overview of the law with regard to granting FMLA leave and leave as an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act and for some exercises on applying this law to common human resources scenarios.
- Student Discipline: Popular Social Media Apps and Student Discipline: Sam Blasi and Ashley Rohleder, KASB Attorneys A brief description of many of the most popular apps and social media platforms students use, and some of the risks associated.
- New School Laws and School Board Policies: Angie Stallbaumer and Donna Whiteman Get your update on new laws and policies here! Donna and Angie will give you a guided tour of 2019 Kansas legislation, which is fresh off the presses and applicable to districts. The recommended June 2019 KASB Policy Updates will be reviewed.
- Service, Therapy, and Comfort Animals in Schools: Legal and Practical Guidance: Sam Blasi “Can my dog come inside?” The best practice, legal guidance for handling animals on school property.
- SRO’s Working with Law Enforcement Searches, Seizures, and Questioning Students: Ashley Rohleder Overview of the legal abilities of and restrictions on SROs when working with law enforcement agencies. Topics covered include actions in searching students, seizing their property, and questioning students.
*Kansas School Attorneys’ Association Meeting | Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:50 Registration 3:00 Legal Ethics (2 Hours CLE - for KSAA Members) 5:10 Annual Business Meeting *KSAA members only. If you plan to attend, please register online.